originally posted February 5, 2010
It’s been around 3 weeks since I started on my embroidered bee project, which you can read about here in my original blog post. I haven’t finished yet but thought I’d update everyone on how far I’ve gotten. The entire head and face is done. He was looking a little creepy before I filled in the eyes. In the pic above, he looks like some sort of weird, perverted clown. I filled in the eyes using satin stitch in blue and then used French knots in black for the pupils. I have to say, I’m loving the French knots. For some reason I thought they’d be hard to do, but I had a much harder time with the satin stitch. The wings were done in whipped running stitch using two different colors – orange and yellow. The feet I outlined with stem stitch and filled in with split stitch, and the body I’m filling in with satin stitch, which I think I’m getting the hang of, finally. I’ve been referring to Needle ‘n Thread’s online video library of stitches as well as one of my mother’s embroidery books called The Embroidery Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden. These have been a great help in the learning process.
Much to my surprise, I actually like doing embroidery. I assumed it would be something I’d try out, decide I didn’t like it that much, and then move on to another craft. Now, I have all kinds of ideas running through my head for future embroidery projects, including possibly coming up with my own embroidery designs.